Friday, June 17, 2011

The Maltese word and phrases (1st and 2nd Semester)

The Maltese language is consist of Maltese and English as their second dialect. Maltese has a Semitic tongue and has evolved from the earlier Semitic language of the Assyrian's and the Babylonians, which stretched westwards from the Middle East till the shores of Palestine in the Eastern Mediterranean. Unlike other Semitic languages, Maltese is written in the Latin alphabet, but with the addition of special characters to accommodate certain Semitic sounds. There is much in the Maltese language today that is not semitic due to the immeasurable romance and influence from the succession of the Southern European rulers through the ages. However, the language has a special glottal sound for the letter "Q" which resembles neither the Arabic, nor the European sounds for its equivalent (which are more akin to our 'k' sound), but is rather like the sound produced by a 'silent cough'. Another thing I found evident is that over the years due to the fact Malta has been dominated over by different leaders they all influenced the language and by adding their own such as 'Bonjourno' taken from the French which means 'Good morning' or 'Ciao' from the Italian's which means 'Goodbye'.


http://www.my malta.com/interesting/MalteseLanguage [Accessed 19th May 2011].


Durning the first in my ITU placement there were only a few words/phrases used to patients and some families did not want to interact due to their current state however, I learnt to say:


 'PUT YOUR HANDS DOWN' which is 'NIZZEL IDEJK, JEKK JOGGHBOK'. I used this saying in ITU when some of the patients where not adhering to their non-invasive ventilation (NIV) and they would often have their hands to the NIV trying to take it off as it is uncomfortable.


'BREATH IN AND OUT' which is 'HU NIFS IL-GEWWA U L-BGRRG'. This was often used when saturations where low for no apparent reason, I would ask the conscious patient to sit up right and breath in and out.


'MY NAME IS ALEXIS' which is 'JEIN JL'SMINI ALEXIS'. This was used when introducing myself before taking out any form of care for the patient.


'GOODBYE' which is 'CAW/SAHHA' When leaving the patient or even leaving the ward, I would often day this to my colleagues. 


In the second semester during my Accident and Emergency placement I was able to learn more words and use more phrases and I remember saying it to a few patients or relatives and they were impressed. I learnt to say:


'COUGH FOR ME PLEASE' which is 'ISSOL, JEKK JOGGHBOK'. This was used when I wanted to listen to the patients breathing sounds during client assessment.


'WHAT BEINGS YOU TO EMERGENCY' which is GHALIER GEJT I-EMERGNIZA'. This was used in triage mainly, before caring out the next assessment.


'YOU WILL BE SEEN SOON' which is 'DAQT JIGU JARAWK'. This was used in A&E as some patients became restless and anxious and asked when they will be seen.


 'THIS IS YOUR MEDICATION' which is 'DH HI I-MEDICINA TIEGHEK'. Under supervision I gave medication to patients and this was used to express it. 


'RELAX FOR ME PLEASE' which is 'IRRILASSA, JEKK JORHGBOK'. When taking respiration rate and other procedures such as taking bloods or putting in a nasogastric tube, I often would tell the patient to relax.


'TRY NOT TO MOVE' which is 'PROVA TICAQLAQX'. This was often used when cannula-ting patients in the A&E department. 






These may not be the exact spelling......
......these are the words learnt so far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment